Monday, February 9, 2009

Sidelined, but not out of the game...

For the past month or so I've had terrible pain on the side of my calves every time I take a brisk walk. Last week it was getting progressively worse and I couldn't walk a block at a brisk pace without having a terrible strain/pain in my legs. In the past I've had this pain but as long as I stretched for a good 15 minutes (yes, 15 minutes...feels like an hour) before my walks and then stretch for another 5 minutes about 5 to 10 minutes into my walk. These techniques weren't working this go around. I googled all kinds of things to see if I could figure it out but wasn't all that lucky...because I was ruling out that I was having shin splints (as it was the sides of my legs that hurt not the front). I went to the doctor on Friday and guess I should have read about shin splints because in fact I have anterior shin splints in both legs. There is a band that runs between our tibula and fibula and I've strained that band (it always feels like there's a rubber band in my leg that's pulled as tight as can be and it's ready to snap at anytime). The doctor's term for it was Anterior Shin Splints.

The good doctor gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory that I take twice a day for 30 days and advice to give the walking a rest until Wednesday (along with lots of stretching). I didn't listen to the not walking part...I walked Saturday and yesterday (just under 3 miles) and it felt pretty good. The gym classes don't seem to bother it so I'm hoping I'll be 100% back to normal very soon.

Back out there "pounding the pavement"...which is SO much easier on the knees then concrete sidewalks.

No comments:

Post a Comment